miércoles, 15 de diciembre de 2010

Connectors/ Linkers

REASON( CAUSALES)

BECAUSE: porque

E.g: I pass all my exams BECAUSE I study very hard.

Because+ clause (subject+verb)

BECAUSE OF: a causa de

Because of + a noun/ the fact that +clause/ -ing

I pass my exams because of my hard effort/ / lots of/ hundreds of studying hours/ because of the fact that I study very hard/ studying very hard

DUE TO: debido a

I pass my exams due to my hard effort

AS: como (we place it at the beginning of the sentence).

As I study very hard, I pass all my exams

SINCE: porque,ya que

E.g.: Since I study very hard, I pass my exams

RESULT( CONSECUTIVAS)

I pass my exams (RESULT)

I study hard (REASON)

SO= THEREFORE= AS A RESULT= AS A CONSEQUENCE= FOR THIS REASON= CONSEQUENTLY

E.g.: I study hard so I pass my exams

SO+ ADJECTIVE +THAT= TAN….QUE

E.g.: The conference was so boring that I fell asleep

SUCH+ (A/AN)+(ADJECTIVE)+ NOUN = TAN….QUE

E.g: It was such a boring conference that I fell asleep

SO MUCH+ UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS= tanto…que

E.g. : There was so much noise in the street that I couldn’t sleep last night

SO MANY+ COUNTABLE NOUNS= Tantos/as …que

There were so many people at the concert that

I couldn’t see the stage.

CONCESSION( CONCESIVAS)

ALTHOUGH: aunque

Although + clause

E.g.: Although he was ill, he went to school

DESPITE/IN SPITE OF= a pesar de

IN SPITE OF+ A NOUN

In spite of his illness, he went to school

IN SPITE OF+ GERUND

In spite of being ill, he went to school.

IN SPITE OF+ THE FACT THAT+ CLAUSE= ALTHOUGH

E.g.. In spite of the fact that he was ill, he went to school.

VERBS

NOUNS

It´s snowing

snow

It´s raining

rain

It´s foggy

There´s fog

To be tired

tiredness

To be bored

boredom

To be rich

richness

To be ill

illness

CONTRAST (ADVERSATIVAS)

HOWEVER: sin embargo

BUT: pero

WHEREAS: mientras que

E.g.: He was very handsome. However, he was a bit stupid.

He was very handsome but he was a bit stupid.

I’m very extrovert whereas my brother is very shy

PURPOSE (FINALES)

TO+ INFINITIVE( para…)

E.g.: I’m saving some money to buy a car.

IN ORDER TO= SO AS TO+ INFINITIVE

In negative , we can only use IN ORDER NOT TO or SO AS NOT TO

I’m saving some money in order to / so as to buy a car.

SO THAT : para que

So that + subject+ a (modal) verb( can, could, may, might..)

E.g.: I have bought these books so that we can read them together.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario